Lycamobile is one of the world’s leading international pay-as-you-go mobile brands, serving over 12 million customers across 17 countries and welcoming a new customer every 2 seconds. In the spring of 2014, Lycamobile approached BAM to help facilitate a significant marketing campaign targeted at the UK student market. The campaign objectives were three-fold:
1) Raise awareness of the Lycamobile brand within the UK student market
2) Educate students about Lycamobile’s offering to students studying at UK universities
3) Drive the number of activations of Lycamobile’s pay-as-you go SIM cards, surpassing the previous year’s results
Working in partnership with Lycamobile, BAM conducted a strategic whiteboard session with key Lyca personnel at BAM HQ. The session was designed to hone Lycamobile’s proposition and appeal to students, whilst identifying potential channels aimed at maximising reach.
It was important for Lycamobile to create ‘quality engagements’, educating a mass student audience face-to-face fast. The competition for mobile services is rife within the student sector, consequently it was crucial to target students before and during the start of the university term in order to gain traction.
University Freshers’ Fairs were identified as a key channel to get Lycamobile face-to-face in front of a mass student audience quickly. Together we identified and targeted strategic universities with high student numbers in order to focus the budget and maximise our ‘bang for the buck’.
BAM planned and booked the entire campaign. Using our strong relationships with universities and Student’s Unions across the UK we were able to plan and book attendance at over 50 university Freshers’ Fairs and events cost-effectively and hassle-free.
The campaign achieved several thousand ‘quality engagements’ with students across the UK, significantly increasing ROI in comparison to previous years. A summary of the results include:
- Reached over 150,000 students ‘face-to-face’ within a three week window
- Created several thousand ‘quality engagements’ with students, educating them on Lycamobile’s offering
- Significantly increased ROI by over 100%, more than doubling the number of pay-as-you-go SIM card activations in comparison to the previous year despite reducing media spend by 30%
“The BAM team helped deliver excellent results whilst providing a very helpful and friendly service. We would highly recommend BAM to any company wishing to run a student-focused marketing campaign.” –Lycamobile